08 March 2011

52 Weeks ... Disasters

Week 10: Disasters. Did you experience any natural disasters in your lifetime? Tell us about them. If not, then discuss these events that happened to parents, grandparents or others in your family.

My grandparents never mentioned natural disasters - although they did talk about surviving the Great Depression which, their families having come over from "the Old Country" wasn't so great in their opinion!

My mom talks occassionaly about Agnes - but then anyone old enough to recall 1972 talks about Agnes! I don't honestly recall the hundred-year storm. We were still living in Coatesville at that time. I would have been only three at the time. When I went to Lock Haven (for college) EVERY townie recalled Agnes. When the town put in the dyke levee, Agnes was mentioned in every other sentance during the planning stages. She did a number on that river town. I've seen pictures - at the Heisey Historical Society - where water from the storm reached the center of town!

I can recall a few disasters but none like Agnes. I recall an earthquake in Reading one Easter Sunday that we felt in Chester and Lancaster Counties (PA) when I was maybe a teen. I recall Gloria - a hurricane - but all she did was get the basement damp. Perhaps we were extremely lucky being inland so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment