05 December 2012

ACCM Prompt: Outdoor Decorations


Today's ACCM topic is Outdoor decorations. GeneaBloggers ask: Did people in your neighborhood decorate with lights? Did some people really go “all out” when decorating? Any stories involving your ancestors and decorations?

We never did outdoor decorations. Not too many indor either thinking about it. Mom was very simple. The tree always had to be a simple white ornaments with blue lights. Even the angel up top was blue and white. It was beautiful and looking back I see and appreciate the simplicity. Then though it was boring.

My favorite tradition involving outdoor decorations was our trip to Christmas Tree Lane at Longwood Gardens. (Photo at right is from Longwood Gardens).

When I was growing up, my maternal grandfather worked at Longwoods so we were always there and it was always special! They Christmas tree lane used to be outside the Gardens and used to be free. Somewhere along the years, they moved the decorations and lights inside the Gardens and so of course now they fall under the admissions.

We usually went with my cousins but there were some years I recall it being just mom, dad and my sister. At some point we stopped going but I do not recall why we drifted away from doing that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment