Skip to main content

Genealogy Do Over has me done in

Still working on my Genealogy Do Over Week 3. I have to admit I feel pressured since I missed my self-imposed deadline of Sunday posting.

I had hoped to finish it up today but life got in the way! My girls and I went to the eye doctor for a schedule annual exam. I took the first appointment at 8:30 a.m. then the two of them went then he finished up with me. Mine takes a little longer since I have to get drops and get tested for glaucoma. On the good side, I do not have glaucoma and my blood vessels and my eyes in general look healthy. As a diabetic who has worn glasses since the second grade, my eye health is incredibly important to me. Anyway, my eyes were still huge at 2 p.m. They were so huge that I could have tried out for and got a role in Big Eyes, just on the basis on my eyes!

So for now, goodnight. Tomorrow I expect will be a busy day. A catch up day for me since the girls will be back in school finally. I love spending the long weekends with them but I have so much to do that I had put off this weekend, for myself and others.

Tomorrow also is Crista Cowan's weekly webinar at 1 p.m. via livestream. She is the Barefoot Genealogist from Ancestry.com and her webinars are so helpful both in content and contacts in the genealogy community. This week's topic is "An Introduction to Fold 3."

I just started using Fold 3 and it does take some getting used to so I can not wait for this one! I have played around a bit in there and did actually get a year subscription but so far am not impressed. I do think tho that may be because I know I am not using it to its fullest capacity. Two of my goals this year involve researching in regards to Civil War records. Both my 3x great uncle Benjamin Franklin Vanhorn served and was actually a POW at Belle Island. My goal for him is to find out more about his POW time. The other is Socrates Miller - my husband's 2x great grandfather. He served as well but I do not know very much about him or his record.

After Crista's webinar, I plan to join in #AncestryHour on Twitter. It runs about an hour or so and that should fit in perfectly with my schedule before I have to run pick up the girls after school. I am so excited that they found an extra curricular activity to be involved in. Come join us. I will be tweeting @GenealogicalGem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coatesville's First Serial Killer

Young Alexander Meyer was a disturbed and angry young man with some major issues. He had failed sixth and seventh grade, and instead of having to repeat eighth grade again, he finally gave up on school. At age 16 he quit Downingtown Junior High. Meyer is not a relative, nor are his victims (that I am aware). I stumbled upon young Alex while reading Tortured Minds: Pennsylvania's Most Bizarre - But Forgotten - Murders by Tammy Mal. On 11 February 1937 Alexander Thweatt Meyer killed young Helen Moyer as she walked home from school in Coatesville along Modena Road. She was not his first. The jury was out only three minutes after hearing Dr. Michael Margolis' testimony on the death of Helen Moyer. The jury determined Meyer had murdered Moyer and should be held for first degree murder. The jury also condemned the parole system which had released Meyer back into the public, after having served just 14 months in Huntingdon Reformatory, for the murder of two other girls - Anna Blasc

Thaddeus Stevens at the Lancaster Convention Center

Within the Lancaster Convention Center (Lancaster, PA) is a small section dedicated to Thaddeus Stevens and Lydia Hamilton Smith. The section is known as the Stevens & Smith Historic Site. It is scheduled for development this year. At the moment one can only get a glimpse of it through the Convention Center or by peeking in from the outside. Here at Queen and Vine Streets in Lancaster City, Pennsylvania, Thaddeus Stevens had his law office. Stevens was an abolitionist. An abolitionist is a person who favors the abolition of a practice or institution, especially capital punishment or (formerly) slavery. Stevens was born 4 April 1792 to Joshua Stevens and Sarah (Sally) Morrill in Danville Vermont. One of four children, he attended Vermont University from 1810 to 1812 when the War prompted its closure. He then went to Dartmouth, where he graduated in 1814. He then studied law and found himself set up in Gettysburg, PA in 1816. He practiced law there until 1828 when he found hi

Living History Offers Opportunity to Step Back in Time

Have you ever wondered what it would have been like to work the fields on a plantation during the Revolutionary War? Or stroll through an 18th century village? Or fight in battle during the Civil War?  Living history  offers an interactive perspective which incorporates  historical  activities and dress providing a sense of stepping back in time. So, how can YOU step back in time? Rock Ford volunteer Nancy Bradley in the Study of the mansion Rock Ford Plantation, in Lancaster County, PA, will be hosting a Volunteer Tour Guide Recruitment Event on Sunday, 22 March. They need tour guides for its upcoming tour season.  Built circa 1794, Rock Ford was the home of Edward Hand and his family. Hand, an Irish immigrant and physician, served as Adjutant General to George Washington during the Revolutionary War.   Volunteer tour guides at Rock Ford bring the past to life for museum visitors. A tour guide can be any person aged 18 years and up. No experience is necessary, and trainin