06 March 2015

Fearless Females: An heirloom

Throughout March, in recognition of Women’s History Month, each day will feature a different female ancestor. Today’s prompt is: Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.) 

When my grandmother passed, Daddy gave me her silver. I was the only of the four grandchildren with a family already and I did not have a complete real silverware set. It’s beautiful. She had this greenish box they are kept in. Everything matches!  

Sometimes I wonder what I will pass down to my girls. I have three girls. Should I give something to them before I pass? Should I will it to them? Should I let them fight it out when I’m gone? How will they decide who gets what?
 
 

Fearless Females is a daily prompt throughout March celebrating Women’s History Month initiated by Lisa A Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist  
© Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman, 2015
Locations listed are located in Pennsylvania (USA), unless otherwise noted in post.