27 March 2015

Follow Friday: A Hodgepodge

 
This week I have to admit genealogy took a back seat. It was my first full week back to work (I work seasonally at a nursery – LOVE IT!) and my kids had some medical issues (one still does actually) but I did get some reading done.

EIN Presswire sent me a news release concerning a new online Jewish database. The Knowles Collection links generations of Jewish families from all over the world. It has reached its one-millionth record milestone and is now easily searchable online. The vast majority of new contributions are coming from families and private archives worldwide. The free collection can be accessed at FamilySearch.org/family-trees.

The National Genealogical Society conference is 13-16 May 2015 in St. Charles, Missouri. The early bird registration deadline is this Monday, 30 March 2015. For more information see the registration brochure.

Blog posts worth reading:

  • Dear Myrtle has finally published a How To that makes Hangouts easier to navigate. If you plan on attending Mondays with Myrt, her post this past Tuesday is a must!
  • Diane Haddad wrote of Angie Harmon’s recent appearance on “Who Do You Think You Are?” in her Genealogy Insider blog. Harmon is one of my favorite actresses and I found her Revolutionary Veteran, Michael Harman, most interesting. Harman (spelled with two As on the show but I noticed Haddad spelled it like Angie’s) wintered at Valley Forge … as did my husband’s 6th great grandfather, Jacob Eckman! (Side note: my Jacob was one of the few men to have actually died at Valley Forge – 20 May 1778 – as this was an encampment. There was no fighting at Valley Forge.)

My New Follows at Twitter:

To clarify, these are new people I followed this week.


  • @JohnHouchins – a fellow genealogist
  • @Angie_Harmon – yes, the actress!
  • @Originsnetuk – British & Irish resources
  • @Irish_Genealogy – an Irish family historian
Follow me

 

Follow Friday is a genealogical prompt of GeneaBloggers
                

© Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman, 2015
Locations listed are located in Pennsylvania (USA), unless otherwise noted in post.