20 March 2015

Follow Friday: Irish Connections

Tuesday of course was St Patrick’s Day so this week I decided to feature some of the Irish based or Irish oriented news and fellow genealogists.

Monday Ancestry held #AncestryChat that focused specifically on Irish genealogy. Unfortunately I worked at the nursery Monday so I missed it. If YOU also missed it, you can search #AncestryChat on Twitter after the fact and read through the tweets. I personally find it easier to use TwitterDeck and simply save it as a column but you can also type the hashtag in the Discover or Search bar on Twitter.

Blog posts worth reading:

  • Diane Haddad, of Family Tree Magazine’s Genealogy Insider, wrote an article tracing Irish ancestors in poverty relief loan records. Nearly 700,000 persons are included in this resource. The resource is available on FindMyPast, a subscription site.
  • Sue had me hooked on her second sentence of “Mary Alice ‘Allie’ Reade 1801-1880”.  It read: She is as far back as I have been able to go with my Murphy ancestry ...”  I have Murphys up my tree too!
  • Love the sources! Elizabeth Wilson Ballard has traced her Irish line back to Ireland in her post, “COTTER and SHANAHAN – Kiss Me, I’m 1/16th Irish.” She ends her post citing her sources, a reminder of something we should all do and yet forget from time to time! 

My New Follows at Twitter:

To clarify, these are new people I followed this week.

 

  • @rootsireland – rootsireland.ie is an organization comprised of 33 genealogy centers in Ireland (actually added last week but kept included due to my Irish theme)
  • @townlandorigin – Joe Buggy is a genealogist from Ireland. (also actually added last week but kept included due to my Irish theme)
  • @treesrch – Patricia Greber researches her Irish roots, among others.
  • @IrishRootsMag – Irish Roots Magazine
  • @Irish_Genealogy – Claire Santry is an Irish family historian
  • @Originsnetuk – Origins.net offers access to British and Irish records 

Irish related Facebook pages:

There are so many choices here. These are, in fact, just a few of the pages I follow. To find one you might like, simply use the search field and type in your specific parameters.

Follow me
One final note:

Nothing to do with Irish resources, but I found interesting: the FEEFHS has changed its name to the Foundation for East European Family History Studies, according to the group’s website. 



Follow Friday is a genealogical prompt of GeneaBloggers
                

© Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman, 2015
Locations listed are located in Pennsylvania (USA), unless otherwise noted in post.