A translator misunderstood the name to mean Bad God’s Tower and the name was later amended to Devil’s Tower. It became our first national monument in 1906, established as such by then President Theodore Roosevelt.
Located in the Black Hills in northeast
, over 400,000 people visit Devil’s
Tower each year. A small percent of visitors actually climb the monument as
In 1983 we visited there. The photos are from that visit.